Inishbofin Corncrake Festival 2020
3B&B, 2 DINNERS, ALL WALKS AND TALKS
1ST-3RD MAY 2020, €349 per person sharing
The second Inishbofin Corncrake Festival takes place at The Dolphin Hotel this May Bank Holiday 1st-3rd May 2020.
Following on from the success of last year’s inaugural festival, the second Inishbofin Corncrake Festival aims to allow visitors to hear and see this iconic bird, while raising awareness of the plight of this endangered species.
The call of the corncrake was once a familiar sound in rural Ireland. Intensification of farming practices such as early mowing for silage have pushed these birds out to more remote unspoilt areas of Donegal, Mayo, Connemara and offshore islands.
In 2018 Birdwatch Ireland estimated only 151 breeding pairs remained in Ireland.
Conversely, on Inishbofin in Co. Galway, numbers have steadily increased, with 18 calling males reported in 2018, and 18-20 in 2019. So this tiny island is now home to over 10% of the country’s breeding population. This elusive bird has become synonymous with Inishbofin.
The weekend will include early morning and afternoon walks to corncrake habitats, led by well known birder, photographer and author Anthony McGeehan. Anthony will be exhibiting some of his stunning bird photographs at the Dolphin Hotel over the weekend.
There will be after dinner talks and midnight walks to hear the nostalgic crex crex call.
As well as corncrakes, the beautiful island of Inishbofin attracts breeding birds such as wheatear, skylark, chough, lapwing and ringed plover.
No better place to celebrate International Dawn Chorus Day on May 3rd than Inishbofin!
Beginner birdwatchers welcome.
Provisional Itinerary- details to be confirmed
- 9.30pm Bird expert, author and photographer Anthony McGeehan will give a talk about Corncrakes on Inishbofin, followed by a late night walk to hear calling corncrakes.
- 1pm Corncrake Walk with Anthony McGeehan
- guest speaker tbc
- late night Corncrake Walk with Anthony McGeehan
- 6am Dawn Chorus Walk with Anthony McGeehan followed by breakfast at the Dolphin Hotel
- 1pm nature walk – details tbc
- 6pm Launch Of Anthony McGeehan’s superb birds of Inishbofin photography exhibition followed by traditional live music session
all events start at the Dolphin Hotel. All timings subject to change and dependent on weather .
Inishbofin Corncrake Festival 3 Night Package
3B&B, 2 DINNERS, FULL FESTIVAL
€349 per person sharing